Milwaukee’s Most Haunted

By Allison Jornlin

Vampires? Werewolves? Satanists? Wild Speculation Abounds.

Two young Milwaukee women were arrested in 2011 after an 18-year-old Arizona man (who traveled to Wisconsin by bus after meeting one of the suspects online) told cops that he was held captive in their apartment for two days and slashed and stabbed more than 300 times. Raven Larabee, 20, and Rachel Chandler, 22, allegedly forced him to take part in a satanic sex ritual.

Police seized “knives” and “other cutting instruments,” blood, DNA evidence, duct tape, restraining devices, and “books or literature relating to Satanism or the occult,” according to an MPD search warrant.

Officers found the alleged victim “bleeding from the neck, arms and back” after he called police from the intersection of E. Knapp St. and N. Astor St. He explained that he had met the women online. He claimed that after arriving at their apartment he was bound and stabbed repeatedly over a period of two days.

Medical personnel at a local hospital “estimated the number of wounds to be in excess of 300,” according to a search warrant affidavit sworn by Detective Michael Walisiciwicz. Walisiciwicz also reported that the man “suffered multiple puncture wounds as well as lacerations and slash wounds to his back, face, arms, legs and neck.” A blood trail led to Apartment 9 on the third floor of 918 East Knapp Street where police discovered even more blood spattered on the floor and bedding as well as duct tape and rope, which appeared to have been used to restrain the man.

Rebecca Chandler and Raven Larrabee

The women were taken into police custody, but denied the man’s allegations and were released from Milwaukee County Jail without being charged. Although Larrabee’s admission to sexual relations with the man had been previously reported, and he maintained that he had travelled from Phoenix expressly for a promised sexual encounter with the women, Larrabee later refuted these statements. She stated the incident was neither cult related or sexual and that the man was given breaks, water, and pain-relief medication between periods of consensual torture. 

“I believe it was just something that got out of hand for both parties,” said Larrabee during an interview with a local TV news station. She added that “he was cut shallowly, a few times on his arms and legs, back” and “lightly stabbed.” She also contended that although the man asked to be released they did not consent to his wishes because of a previous agreement. Larrabee claimed the man escaped his restraints after just three hours and then threatened to kill her.

The other roommate, Rebecca Chandler, originally claimed that Larrabee, whom she referred to as “Scarlett,” had taken the lead during the incident, inflicting the majority of the cuts. According to police, Chandler also initially alleged that Larrabee was involved in satanic or occult activities.

Police investigators seized books and literature they deemed suspicious at the scene including The Necromantic Ritual Book, which promises to enable the reader to “share consciousness with the Angel of Death.” The Werewolf’s Guide to Life: A Manual for the Newly Bitten was also confiscated leading to wild speculation by journalists, which for the author of the book was as frightening as it was humorous.

Subsequently, Larrabee and Chandler, who later changed her name, have stayed out of the news and avoided further entanglements with the law.